Baptist Medical Group Neurology
The brain is the body's most complex organ. Everything you do – your thoughts and actions – is controlled by your brain. All of the cells in your brain work together to create communication routes for brain signals that complete these thoughts and actions. This includes things like processing what you see and responding to fearful situations.
Because the brain is so complex and is such an important part of health, specialized physicians that focus on conditions affecting the brain are crucial to the health care system. That is where the medical specialty that focuses on conditions impacting the brain and nervous system comes into play. That specialty is called neurology.
What Do Baptist Medical Group Neurologists Do?
The neurologists at Baptist Medical Group specialize in diagnosing, treating and preventing disorders that affect the nervous system. This includes the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
To help patients with problems in these areas get better, Baptist Medical Group neurologists conduct routine tests to diagnose a variety of conditions that can affect these areas of the body. Neurological testing conducted by Baptist Medical Group neurologists may include:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG). This test helps the neurologist evaluate conditions and monitor medication response.
- Electromyography (EMG). Baptist Medical Group neurologists use this test to diagnose punched nerves, disorders such as ALS, and other conditions.
- Nerve conduction velocity test. This test helps the neurologist diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome, diabetic neuropathy, and other conditions.
- Autonomic nervous system test.
Types of Conditions Treated
When a patient sees a Baptist Medical Group physician who specializes in neurology, they may be dealing with one of the following health problems:
- Chronic pain
- Muscle disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Traumatic head injury
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Brain or spine tumors